Wednesday 17 July 2013

Aid Be Aware! Why?

I'm new to blogging so setting the scene seems an appropriate start...

It's a hot summers day in England where laptops overheat, ice cream is sold out and going for a jog feels like you're halfway through the Marathon des Sables.

Not bad... let's add some intrigue...

Suddenly an unknown voice shouts from the rooftops, "Aid Be Aware!"

Okay, stop there.. woahh. Seems blogging just isn't for me as this becomes some form of dreadful comic/playscript in which an aid worker, an academic and Batman (I feel a joke coming on.. walk into a bar etc..) just merged and created the strangest catchphrase.

Actually it's the title of this blog.

What's with the strange catchphrase/ supposed title of the blog? Well those three words 'Aid Be Aware' and some related thoughts have been brewing inside my head, the rooftop, for days (My means a second year politics student who has just started an internship in aid.. ahhh makes sense).

So, the title outlines a need for a global understanding of the aid sector and the potential issues it presently faces. We need to be aware of whether national aid to national governments, organisations or actors is actually working? Or rather is localized, targeted and long-term aid the way forward?

An unexpected thought :
Batman considering the benefits of national or localized aid?

For example, if you type in 'aid' in google images the page is awash with direct, short-term food aid or figures. Should aid breed dependency? You can probably guess where I stand on the issue and I was attempting to remain neutral so I'll stop writing before I smother you with my views!

To conclude, that's the 'why' of this blog. Good evening and over to you!

Time for you to be a superhero.. for me! What's your general understanding and thoughts on aid? Do you see national or localized aid as more effective?

No comments:

Post a Comment